What is FMLA?
FMLA provides an entitlement of up to 12 weeks of job-protected, unpaid leave during any 12-month period to eligible Team Members. Per the policy, leave may be taken all at once, or may be taken intermittently as the medical condition requires.
Qualifying reasons for leave:
- Birth and care of your newborn child, or placement for adoption or foster care of a child with you;
- Care of an immediate family member (spouse, child, parent, including an individual who stood in loco parentis to you) who has a serious health condition;
- Care of your own serious health condition;
- A qualifying urgent situation related to your spouse, son, daughter, or parent’s foreign deployment; or
- To provide care for an injured or seriously ill service member or veteran (up to 26 weeks of leave is available for this purpose).
It also requires that your group health benefits be maintained during the leave (as long as premiums are being paid). While you are out on approved FMLA, you will be credited for your leave during the next benefits eligibility review.
Only eligible Team Members are entitled to take FMLA leave. You are considered an eligible Team Member if you:
- Work for a covered employer, which Bloomin’ Brands is;
- Have worked for Bloomin’ Brands for at least 12 months within the past 7 years; and
- Have at least 1,250 hours of service for Bloomin’ Brands during the 12-month period immediately preceding the leave; and work at a location where Bloomin’ Brands has at least 50 Team Members within 75 miles.
Need a leave? Follow these steps:
- If you go on a leave of absence or have a planned upcoming leave for a period of 3 days or more, report it to Bloomin’ Brands as soon as possible to see if your leave qualifies for FMLA.
- To report a leave, contact your manager as soon as possible.
- Your manager will submit a leave request via BBI Connect.
IMPORTANT—Be sure your address is up-to-date in BBI Connect.